A flower does not think of competing to the flower next to it. It just blooms.
First order of business is to hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends and had a couple of days time to reflect on what is truly important and keeps us doing what we do best.
Second order of business is to discuss whats going down on Saturday! Today will be the last day to sign-up for the PHP Super Total Lift-Off (check out the link for information on Rules and Regulations that we will follow during the event), so make sure and head over to the Facebook Page to find info on how to get registered (go to the public event and follow the directions provided). If you are wondering to yourself what gear is appropriate here is a list:
- Knee sleeves or Knee Wraps
- Belts (tapered, 3in, 4in)
- Wrist wraps
Things that will not be allowed:
- Powerlifting suits
- Gloves or hand protection
- liquid grip
- elbow sleeves
If you have any questions make sure to message us on facebook or send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The quote at the top of the page serves as a reminder to the mindset we have going into a competition such as Weightlifting or Power lifting. By now, you should know the numbers you are going to hit in competition. This week you should be visualizing yourself hitting those numbers step by step (from touching the bar to re-racking the bar). The metal process should be as smooth as butter, always hitting the rep with ease and precision. In doing this, you set yourself up for a couple of things:
- A positive mental mindset
- There is no “if” you hit that weight in your head going into the competition
- Mental focus
- Allows you to push out all other distractions the day of the competition, allowing you to focus on your weights and what you came there to do.
- Repetition of that weight
- You are not going to get stronger this week (not physically possible), so the best thing you can do is physically and mentally hit your openers, which makes for light weight day of.
The quote above reminds us that you are not going to change the numbers that other people are going to hit, the only numbers you can change are your own. You are going into this competition to compete against yourself, to prove that you can hit the numbers you have set for yourself, and to hopefully hit a PR on that 3rd attempt!
That being said, since it is the week of the competition, take these pointers and use them to the best of your ability:
- Get enough rest
- Make sure you are getting both the sleep you need and the mental rest you need in order to do the best you can come Saturday.
- Eat enough food to feed your body
- Eat for recovery and performance, not for comfort.
- Recover, Recover, Recover
- Make your training hard at the beginning of the week and taper off a couple of days before the competition. Do your daily yoga and mobility and make sure you have all the ROM you need to perform your lifts to the best of your abilities. Keep up with muscle soaks, massage, etc.. to make sure any aches and pains you have are minimal day of.
- Don’t stress
- The competition is a chance for you to show yourself what you have to offer, you do not do it for anyone else, so don’t stress about the numbers. Remember, you are strong enough to hit those numbers because you have done it before. The only thing that can hurt you this week is your mindset, so make sure and get it right!
We will have more details on Wednesday (once everyone gets registered). Currently the schedule looks a little something like this:
- 8 a.m: Women’s Weightlifting weight ins and warm-ups
- 8:30 a.m: First lift for Women’s Weightlifting (Snatch)
- 9:15 a.m: Second lift for Women’s Weightlifting (Clean and Jerk)
- 10:15 a.m: Men’s Weightlifting weight ins and warm-ups
- 11:00 a.m: First lift for Men’s Weightlifting (Snatch)
- 12:00 p.m: Second lift for Men’s Weightlifting (Clean and Jerk)
- 12:30 p.m: Women’s Powerlifting weight ins and warm-ups
- 1:00 p.m: First lift for Women’s Powerlifting (Squat)
- 1:45 p.m: Second lift for Women’s Powerlifting (Bench)
- 2:30 p.m: Third lift for Women’s Powerlifting (Deadlift)
- 3:00 p.m: Men’s Powerlifting weight ins and warm-ups
We will have coffee and donuts for the morning session and we will provide food and beer for the afternoon sessions, so make sure and stick around to watch some of the other athletes compete and lift!
This will be a fun and exciting event to both be apart of and watch, so make sure and bring some supporters, your camera (for those mid-lift selfies), and a winning attitude on Saturday!